Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Baking Day

The last couple of weeks I have  been baking up a storm! I don't think I have been in this much of a baking mode since moving to the little cottage. Somehow, for me baking requires a clear, quiet mind.(I am not talking about whip-up-the-tried-and-true-favorite-muffins-and-biscuits baking, but the let's-go-on-an-adventure-and-try-something-new baking). There has been a lot going on since we have moved! But now that the house projects have slowed and nothing needs to be urgently finished, I am ready to bake!
I have also been setting aside a  weekly "baking day", depending on the schedule, whichever day I have an empty evening. It has been so fun to plan what I want to make and something which I look forward to all day!

Suddenly I find myself reading cookbooks just for fun, making a list of things to bake. Wondering how a recipe would turn out if I used this instead of that or added in this or possibly add more of that. I know some of the enthusiasm has come from a Christmas gift, The Great British Bake Off Big Book of Baking. (I didn't even know there was a cookbook!?!) I have tried a few recipes so far and have a long list I would still like to make. Which I will be sure to share!

Last week I tried 100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread from King Arthur Flour. It turned out fabulous! I have been trying to eat more whole grains for a bit more staying power to meals (I have a fast metabolism).

It is kind of an interesting recipe. You start by making a starter to give the yeast a bit of a boost. There is also orange juice to counter the bitterness of the whole wheat flour and instant potato flakes for moistness.
I've never tried brushing the dough with a beaten egg before sprinkling on the cinnamon and sugar filling, but it works really nice. No falling apart of layers or getting stuck in the toaster! 

A lovely dense texture and the perfect sweetness!
The only thing I changed was to make it dairy free; used water instead of milk and left out the powdered milk completely.

This bread sure didn't last long! I just barely managed to photograph the last slice before it vanished!

6 comments:

  1. I never noticed that whole wheat flour has a bitter taste. Perhaps it's because I grind my own wheat and the flour is fresh. I think it has a pleasant, delicious nutty flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally love the flavor of whole wheat too. I had never noticed a "bitter" flavor (though perhaps that is the wrong word too use) in any of my baked goods, but I don't usually bake with all whole wheat either. However I did notice the bread had a bit of a sour/bitter taste. Perhaps because of the starter?
      Fresh ground whole wheat flour sounds heavenly! Lucky you!

      Delete
  2. You moved? Did I miss something or am I not reading this correctly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      We haven't moved recently, about four years ago. But life has been so busy since then I haven't had much time for baking. So excited to get back into it!

      Delete
  3. Oh Heide! Spring is here. I have been eyeing my cookbooks too! I think it is something about the daylight lasting longer that makes me want to pull out the pots and pans and try something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right, everything is better in Spring! What is on your list to bake?

      Delete