Tuesday, October 13, 2015

70 Magic Recipes- Borden's Eagle Brand

 I recently picked up this booklet at an estate sale. These advertising cookbooks are always entertaining! This one is from 1952 by Borden's Sweetened Condensed Milk. Who knew you could do so much with it?!








This summer we tried an ice cream recipe with sweetened condensed milk that On Sutton Place had posted. It was so delicious! Very very rich, but very very good! I was curious to see if this little booklet had ice cream too and sure enough it did!

 These recipes are slightly different then the one we tried. There is a half a cup of water added. I wonder if that would help it not be so rich. Now we will have to give this version a try!

Doesn't this one look good? I think I will have to try this one too.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fun recipe book. I like to make Magic Cookies Bars with sweetened condensed milk. Didn't know there were so many other great recipes. I'll look for a similar book at my thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Ice cream without an ice cream maker? I need to try that recipe! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it work rather well. And it is nice to have a treat to make without having to get out the ice cream freezer especially in the winter.

      Delete
  3. What a find! A family favorite is still the Eagle Brand milk lemon pie with crumb crust, in fact I just made one a couple of weeks ago. Some recipes never go out of style. Eagle Brand also makes a quick and easy pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! I was wondering if I should give the Lemon Pie a try. Thanks for the testimonial. How can one go wrong with Pie?

      Delete
  4. Was there a recipe for just “eagle brand pie”? My husband said his mother used to make it. He said it was a cream type pie that used to be on the label but it wasn’t the lemon pie?

    ReplyDelete