Friday, August 14, 2015

Fashion Service Women's Institute magazine 1931

 I was absolutely thrilled to find this Women's Institute magazine at an antique shop recently. The Women's Institute of Domestic Art and Science was founded by Mary Brooks Picken in 1915. She wrote and published a variety fashion, sewing and millinery books including a magazine. (In this post I shared a sewing course written by Mary.) My sister also reminded me of Vintage Notions by Amy Barickman, which is a compilation of excerpts from her collection of Women's Institute magazines.

The lasted mode in millinery. Love the sketches!

Frocks and Fashion....


Sewing tips and hints.



 Cooking, one of my favorite pages! 

And of course, the ads are just as fascinating as the articles! Could I have two please of the charming afternoon frock?

1 comment: