Thursday, May 21, 2015

Old Fashioned Lily-of-the-Valley

In our neighborhood in seems like every house has lily of the valley growing in the flower beds or garden. My house isn't any different!

When I purchased my home there was this large patch already happily established along the east side of the house. I have a suspicion they have been here a long long time, but I don't mind. There is something sweetly old fashioned about the flowers.
If you have ever grown lily-of-the-valley or tried to pull it up, you will have discovered it is a rather tenacious plant. It spreads quite well and doesn't seem to mind where it pops up.
I decided it would be a fierce and long battle to try and get rid of them and it was best to let them stay. Another charming feature of an old house!

In the language of flowers Lily-of-the-valley means "return to happiness". Very fitting for a house, I think.

5 comments:

  1. And they have a divine fragrance too. I have a patch behind our living room (came with the house) and love to open the window and catch a whiff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lovely! I kind of wish mine were below the dinning room windows, but I don't think I want to start another patch!

      Delete
  2. Sweet, I have lots of Lily of the Valley too. :-) I love your photos.
    And the smell of Lily of the Valley is amazing.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have any lily-of-the-valley, you have a TON! Lol! Thanks for commenting Carla!

      Delete
  3. I used to have it on my farm and I miss them. They smell so wonderful! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete