Thursday, November 6, 2014

Apple Upside Down Cake

When I posted about the Spry Shortening cookbook awhile back, this recipe caught my eye. We had also just recently acquired a cast iron skillet. I was surprised how the cake turned out, instead of having the same texture as a traditional upside down cake, it was feather light and melted in your mouth. 

The apples tend to cook down quite a bit so the second time (Yes, it was so good, I made a second cake!) I used more apples. 
 The cake batter is very fluffy and soft. 
Even though the recipe doesn't call for a cast iron pan, it worked out really nice. If you want to be fancy, you could turn the cake out onto a platter. 

With the weather typical gray November, Apple Upside-Down Cake is the perfect comfort food!

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Another use for my cast iron skillet! Thank you. Nice recipe for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! Another use for my cast iron skillet! Thank you. Nice recipe for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo, as Rachel Ray would say! Did you use Spry or Crisco or did you use something else? I had a cast iron skillet for years but it got lost in the move somehow. I need to look for another as I have missed it. Plus, I want to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete