Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Walking in Their Footsteps....

 Recently, my sister and I made a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Our Grandma lives there, in the same town she grew up in and met and married Grandpa. The same town he grew up in and the same town Great Grandma Anna grew up in. We got a chance to visit the old farm and take lots of photos!
 The lane to get back to the car, left at the bottom of the hill at the gate.
I love the texture of the house, logs, chinking and a bit of siding. The farm is unoccupied and the grass is knee high. It made for very picturesque pictures!
Starting on the right, the milk house, pig sty, hen house and very last the outhouse. We are not sure why they are all built very close together, perhaps to make it easier to get to them in a blizzard....

 Isn't that a nice red? It looks like the tar paper came that color.

A picture of some of the other outbuildings. The only ones standing are the ones I mentioned above. It is sad they are all falling in, but not much anyone can do.....
Anna feeding her chickens in front of the barn.

I am so glad we got to visit the farm. It was so very nice to see where so much family history happened......


12 comments:

  1. The pictures are great Heide! Didn't we have a fun time there? I love your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sister! Glad you like it. We did have a great time!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post! The photo were wonderful. What a neat experience to see where your grandparents lived their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! It was neat. I am so glad the pictures turned out okay, as it was an overcast day. But I think it added to this time!

      Delete
  3. Great post. Wonderful photos. Is the land still with your family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. The acutally ownership is a little hazy, but we know someone in the family is keeping an eye on it!

      Thanks for your comment Carla!

      Delete
  4. Love it..thank you for sharing these lovely pictures and memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent photos from the U.P. When I was a child, I visited my grandparents farm in the northern part of Wisconsin. It was the only time that I saw the family homestead prior to their passing. Your photos hit the refresh button to my memory and for a moment, I was dreaming of the visit to the Crivitz area in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lovely!! Memories are wonderful things! It is a besutiful part of the state.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Wow I can't believe so much of the buidlings are still standing after all these years... so neat you have the picture of Anna and then a new picture of the henhouse!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this tour so much! Great shots! If those buildings could talk, just think of all the stories they could tell. . .

    ReplyDelete