Thursday, March 10, 2011

Repro Fabric

Oh......... I just got spring fever! Is this not one of the prettiest fabrics you have seen? It is such luscious eye candy.
These fabrics are from one of my favorite fabric companies. Marcus Brothers (http://www.marcusbrothers.com/) This is from the Aunt Gracie Collection, which is 30s reproduction fabric. Perfect for aprons!


Another of my favorite fabric companies Windham Fabrics (www.windhamfabrics.com) has a reproduction feed sack collection.

a repro feed sack with flour labels

"Printed floursacks, (and feedsacks) were a tradition beginning in the great depression, but lasted into the 1950's. It is estimated that by the early 1940's over 3 million women and children were wearing some version of a printed feedbag garments.Not only were flourssack designs simple, so was the concept. They were used as a promotion to sell more flour because the bag, or sack that the flour was packed in could be reused to make clothes. One of the reasons for there being thousands of different flour sack designs was the idea that the shorter the time that a particular design was available, more designs would be used. Women wanted more fabric designs and would therefore help drive demand for the flour."
(an excerp from http://www.windhamfabrics.com/ )

Can't you just aprons!



I found this little shop on Etsy, www.etsy.com/shop/NauvooQuiltCo They have repros (from Windham and Marcus) and also vintage feedsacks.


1940s art deco vintage feed sack. Fun!

A 1930s feedsack. Love it!

4 comments:

  1. oh !! I love the fabric !!
    They look like aprons !
    Oh fun !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, Heide you are funny with you eye candy. I love all the fabrics, dont't think I have ever seen the flour ads one. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! The first one reminds me of a seersucker I once saw. My favorite would be the flour labels one. How cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the flour label one is cute! I just had to post it. I can picture it as a little half hostess apron with a bit of red rick-rack.

    ReplyDelete